Many parents purchase magnetic devices like magnetic balls or bracelets to teach their children about magnets and the importance of keeping them away from the harmful magnet material. These products claim to keep kids safe from all sorts of dangers. The truth is that they are just as dangerous if not more. Larger magnets (over 0.5 pounds) can easily break bones and crush fingers. Very large magnets that are stored improperly can pose a choking hazard and should never be handled by children. Smaller, decorative magnets can still be hazardous and should be kept away from young children as well.
While most small children can understand the appeal of magnets, very young children cannot. Because of this, the best way to teach this important lesson is through repetition. The best way to reprogram young children about the dangers of magnets is to give them a simple magnetic item to play with and allow them to explore their imagination. Children can create their own puzzles, play games with small pieces of magnet jewelry, and use special attachments to create their own toys. As long as these items are kept away from large magnets, kids will have no problem remembering the lesson and hopefully never use a magnet as a way to hurt themselves or others again.
In order to make sure that your child remains fascinated in playing with magnets, you should also take the time to let them watch you use the magnets. Many professional magnetic object collectors and creators sell items such as these starter kits that are specifically designed to help parents teach their children about the magnetism and beauty of these beautiful but potentially dangerous magnetic objects. With the safety tips mentioned here, you can ensure that your children remain interested and enthusiastic about playing with the many different magnetic items on the market today. For more information on magnetic jewelry for kids, check out the website below.